The Hamilton Fire Department is crediting a working smoke alarm with alerting occupants to a fire in their unit.
Crews responded to a 7 storey apartment building at 95 Wentworth Street South at about 7:30 this morning.
There they found a working fire on the 3rd floor. The flames were quickly extinguished and two occupants of the unit were transported to hospital suffering smoke inhalation after re-entering the unit to find their dog.
Fire officials remind residents to never re-enter a burning building for any reason. The dog was located by firefighters and safely removed.
The fire was contained to one unit and damage is estimated at approximately $100,000. The cause has been determined as electrical.