The bad weather had Hamilton Emergency Services stretched to the limit, and beyond, over the holidays.
For a while early on Christmas Eve, Hamilton was in a Code Zero situation for about two hours.
That is when there is only one or no ambulances available to respond to an emergency.
There was a spike in calls about carbon monoxide exposure.
Of the 3-hundred calls logged between the ice storm on Sunday and about noon on Christmas Eve, 50 were for CO2 exposure.
Hamilton Fire spokesman Claudio Mostacci calls it a serious and dangerous increase.
He says in many cases, it’s because of back up generators operating too close to the home, or people using heaters for outdoor camping, barbecues and other various outdoor appliances to stay warm until the power is back.