ArcelorMittal Dofasco has been fined $60, 000 after a worker was overcome by gas fumes and lost consciousness.
In February of 2014, a dustcatcher in a blast furnace became blocked by material as it was being cleaned.
A worker, attempting to clear the blockage, opened a door to the dustcatcher and poked at the material with a shovel.
That caused gas to be released and the worker was overcome by fumes, temporarily losing consciousness.
In addition to the fine, the court imposed a 25-per-cent victim fine surcharge as required by the Provincial Offences Act.
The surcharge is credited to a special provincial government fund to assist victims of crime.