Careless smoking has caused 40 thousand dollars worth of damage after a high-rise fire in downtown Hamilton.
Fire crews were called to a building on John Street North just before 5 o’clock Tuesday afternoon to find flames on a fourth floor balcony that had spread inside the apartment.
Firefighters made short work of the blaze, limiting damage to the single unit.
One person was taken to hospital suffering from a medical condition and two other occupants were treated on scene.
One firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion on the scene and returned to full duties.
The fire department says it appears the disposal of smoker’s material came from an upper floor balcony which ignited combustible items.