It’s called the silent killer, and the Hamilton Fire Department wants you to avoid being a statistic.
Carbon monoxide is a leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in Ontario, with 80 per cent of injuries and deaths occurring in the home.
Hamilton Fire Information Officer Claudio Mostacci says you must have a working CO alarm next to each sleeping area of your home if you have a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage.
As part of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, Mostacci says homeowners should also get their furnaces, hot water heaters and other fuel-burning appliances inspected annually by a registered contractor.
Carbon monoxide is called the silent killer because you can’t see, smell or taste it.
A recent survey of 1,000 Ontario residents conducted by Enercare shows 33 percent of Ontarians have never checked the batteries in their carbon monoxide detector.